There is good news for the Kindle Fire users. They can now get a taste of Jelly Beans OS by Android on their tablets very easily. This article will guide you through the whole process.
WARNING: Rooting and installing a custom ROM on your device will cause voiding your warranty. Also there are chances that you may brick your device. Your own discretion is advised.
Before you upgrade, you should have the following in order to start the upgrade.
- You should have TWRP recovery installed on your Kindle Fire. To do so:
- Download the Kindle Fire Utility from here: http://random.kennocha.com/kindle/utility/Kindle_Fire_Utility_v0.9.3.zip
- Extract the zip folder downloaded.
- Install Kindle Fire drivers on your PC.
- Connect Kindle Fire via USB and run the Kindle Fire utility.
- ADB status should now be online. If not, reconnect the device and run it again.
- Select ‘install TWRP Recovery’ from the options.
- If you also want to root the device, select ‘permanent root with superuser’.
- After finishing installing, select ‘boot mode’ and then select ‘normal’ to reboot the device.
- Download the latest version of the Jandycane ROM from here:
- Download the GApps package from here:
- Ensure that your Kindle Fire has a charged battery. If not fully charged, you must have at least 60% battery to finish the flashing process.
- Make sure that you back up all your important data such as contacts, messages and other settings at a safe place other than your tablet.
The ROM Flashing Procedure:
- The two files which you downloaded earlier (jandycane_otter-v1.7.2_0xD34D.zip and gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip) should now be copied to the tablet’s SD card. Please do not extract them.
- Now shut down your Kindle Fire.
- Now you are required to boot into the TWRP recovery mode. In order to do so, press the power button. Once the triangle shows on the screen, press the power button once more and the device will now boot into recovery mode.
- Tap ‘backup’ to back up your current ROM. In case the custom ROM does not function properly, you will always have the option to roll back to the existing ROM.
- After back up is complete, tap the ‘home’ option to go to the main screen.
- Now tap on the ‘wipe’ option and then on the ‘factory reset’ option to wipe off all your data. This step is very important for the proper functioning of the custom ROM. If you already had an earlier version of the Jandycane ROM, this step can be skipped then.
- Select ‘cache’ and confirm the clearing on the next screen.
- Similarly clear the ‘dalvik cache’ by selecting the respective option.
- Now go back to the main recovery menu and tap on ‘install’. Now navigate to the ZIP file for the ROM that you had copied earlier.
- Confirm the action and the ROM will be installed.
- Now go back to the recovery screen and select ‘install’ again. This time select the GApps package that you copied earlier to install the Google apps that do not come pre-loaded with this ROM.
Once this is complete. Reboot your device and Voila! You now have the amazing Jelly Beans running your device. Enjoy!